Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Breathing

There have been months in my past where I wouldn't buy tampons, because it may jinx myself. Other months, I would buy a pregnancy test only to find the evidence that I wasn't while using the test. Month after month passed, then year after year, and we still have empty arms and wounded hearts. What are we doing wrong? Surely, we aren't doing it wrong, right?

We slowly came out to a few friends and family that we just weren't having any luck. We shared with them the cold hard facts. We were having unprotected sex with an expected outcome of pregnancy. We received all kinds of advice by well meaning friends and family, ranging from "It will happen when the time is right," "just relax," and "these things take time." While everyone was sharing their tips, and how easy it was for them stories, what we didn't share was our deepest fears, biggest desires, and where we were emotionally. It was too difficult to put out there. Later we wished we had shared this more with people. Perhaps our lives would have been different in various ways. Regardless, it stings that friends and family are working on their first, second, and third pregnancies. Perhaps if we weren't so guarded about our feelings in the first place, they would respect them more. Perhaps not, because when dealing with an infertile person, there is no handbook of what to say and what not to. Either way, pregnancy announcements, baby showers, and the like are all extremely difficult. I don't begrudge them, I don't refuse to go, because everybody else's life must go on. It's just very difficult to accept that when yours feels like it is crushing down on you, and all that is left to do is fall into a heap on the floor and sob.

Now, we are past the "perhaps we need help" stage, and are in the "what's the deal?" phase. Layer by layer we reveal what is truly a matrix of issues, and like an onion each layer comes with tears. Not only do we still have the raw emotions of repeated monthly failure, but now the fear, anxiety, and stress that comes with each new test. Largely due to the fact, that each new test reveals one more hurdle that we will have to jump. Most people can easily conquer a short sprint, but few can accomplish a marathon.

So, here we are running...running scared, running towards what we hope is a brass ring. When, the doctor said, "Ok, here's what's wrong with you..." My heart sunk and broke into a million little pieces. I truly expected to hear, "Oh, it's just a little ovulation problem. No worries." Naive. My innocence is lost.

My diagnosis, and lack there of, confuses me daily. How will this actually work for us? Sometimes I feel like a rock climber, whose missing gear. A trapeeze artist without a net. My uterus isn't the right shape. I can find women out there with my condition who successfully achieve pregnancy and even have children. I also find women who have six or seven miscarriages before they have those children. How will I find that courage? Can I beat the high odds of miscarriage and preterm labor? How will I manage IVF, when I can only transfer a single embryo? How can I be brave enough to tell people how I really feel? How can I tell them that I am so scared? How can I tell them I'm not sure how I can dig deep enough inside of myself and find the courage I need?

So, now I think back to the well meaning advice of "just relax," "these things take time," and "It will happen when the time is right." Well, relaxing is damn near impossible. Life always throws things our way that tend to complicate it. You could live on a deserted island, and you'd wonder where you are getting food. You could be a billionaire with ten children, and you'd worry if you were raising them right. There is one thing you can bank on in life, and that is stress. No way around it. You can learn to minimize it, but damn it lack of it won't change my diagnosis. These things do take time, but time doesn't make babies, perform IUIs, IVF, or perform laparoscopies. The timing couldn't be better than right now, and I don't see a stork circling my house, or the homes of my fellow infertile friends who deserve children as much as we do. So, I guess I'm just getting prescriptions I can't fill.

These days I can't plan from one day to the next. My amazing neighbor will call and ask what my plans are for the day, and sometimes all I can get out is, "I'm going to shower." Wow. Other times I feel confident, and can allow myself to venture into that place that is guarded with high walls. The place where I store my visions of my future child and all of the hopes and dreams I have for them. Perhaps one day my walls will come down, and reveal that brass ring I am so desperately searching for. No need for sympathy my fellow waiting womb warriors, just feeling the need to embrace what I'm feeling right now.

7 Comments:

At 7:55 AM , Blogger KatieMc said...

Fantastic post! Perfectly captures what I experienced for about 2 years. Still not pregnant and chances are slim. Your "hoping for a miracle" icon is spot on. I believe now that only a miracle from God will put a baby in my womb. But it hurts to hope for a miracle, too.

And, unfortunately, those who are fertile, no matter how sensitive and empathetic, will NEVER GET IT. I'm sad that one of my friendships is forever changed for the worse because she just doesn't get it.

Keep posting!

 
At 11:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog... and wanted to offer you encouragement from someone who understands what you are going through. I too have fertility issues and UU and PCO. We tried for over 3 years and did several IUIs - were finally successful with the 3rd IVF. It was a pretty terrifying pregnancy (I had an incompetent cervix - and delivered at 31 weeks) - but I have a perfect little boy now (all that being said - to fellow infertiles I know that we were LUCKY). Somedays those obstacles just seemed almost insurmountable. But you can do it with a lot of perseverance. It is going to ask a lot more from you than the average person, but I bet you are far above average :). Hang in there!
Andrea - A fellow wonky womber

 
At 5:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right. Perhaps it would be easier if we were able to tell everyone just how much we hurt. But telling them and having them understand are just 2 different things aren't they? And I guess that's why we keep our hurts to ourselves or among each other.

I'm always here if and when you need me. Always.

 
At 4:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post, you could tell your friends the absolute honest truth about everything your facing and have faced in the past, but while some may understand a little, empathise alot, they will never fully grasp what it is to be infertile and while it hurts to watch them move from first to third child it's hard not to be hurt so much you feel like your crumbling apart, would you want them to really know how it is? because that would mean they too would be sitting back and watching others get pg naturally. the whole thing simply sucks. and I'm sorry your facing this too.

 
At 10:33 AM , Blogger JUST A MOM said...

((HUGS)) hang in there,,,,,,,,,,,

 
At 8:21 PM , Blogger Natalie said...

You've written what I can't. The whole debate between what we tell people and what we don't, it's not easy. I got my common thread today and am wearing it proudly, as my badge of honor, but is it? Cuz there are people around me who have no idea what it is and i don't want them to, while a perfect stranger going through it I'd be pleased to share it and comfort them. It's all very fucked up.

 
At 1:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

While viewing websites that sell personalized cards for birth announcements, baby announcements, pregnancy announcements, adoption announcements with photo for twins, holidays, Christmas and baby thank you cards, I found that http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Birth-Announcements-Cards.asp has an extremely large selection of baby cards to choose from. Additionally, http://www.cardsshoppe.com has additional information for each baby category to help you understand them better. Here’s just a sampling of what’s available on the site.

http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Birth-Announcements-Cards.asp
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Birth-Announcements-Questions-Answers.asp
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Adoption_Announcements/Adoption_Announcements-29-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Alphabet-Cards.asp?catid=25&catname=Alphabet-Letters-Birth-Announcements
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Boy-Alphabet.asp?catid=30
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Girl-Alphabet.asp?catid=31
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Birth_Announcements_Cards/Birth_Announcements_Cards-20-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Boy_Birth_Announcements/Boy_Birth_Announcements-21-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Girl_Birth_Announcements/Girl_Birth_Announcements-22-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Holiday_Birth_Announcements/Holiday_Birth_Announcements-23-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Photo_Birth_Announcements/Photo_Birth_Announcements-24-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Pregnancy_Announcements/Pregnancy_Announcements-28-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Thank_You_Cards_for_Birth_Announcements/Thank_You_Cards_for_Birth_Announcements-27-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/Twins_Triplet_Multiple_Birth_Announcements/Twins_Triplet_Multiple_Birth_Announcements-26-1.htm
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/wording_birth_announcement.asp
http://www.cardsshoppe.com/sitemap/Birth_Announcements_Cards-20.htm

After viewing all the unique and beautiful birth cards, I was soooo amazed. I ordered from Cards Shoppe and was very pleased with the birth cards and the customer service.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home