Monday, August 21, 2006

What a day...

Today we went to the RE, and as expected, he ordered some more tests to include: Bloodwork on cycle day 3, a saline infusion ultrasound (similar to an HSG), and a laparoscopy (see below.)

Laparoscopy is direct visualization of the reproductive system: Ovaries, outside of the tubes and uterus by using a laparoscopy. The laparoscopy is an instrument somewhat like a miniature telescope with a fiber optic system which brings light into the abdomen. It is about as big around as a fountain pen and twice as long.

An instrument to move the uterus during surgery will be placed in the vagina. Carbon dioxide (CO2) is put into the abdomen through a special needle that is inserted just below the navel. This gas helps to separate the organs inside the abdominal cavity, making it easier for the physician to see the reproductive organs during laparoscopy. The gas is removed at the end of the procedure.

The will go in near the navel and also vaginally. No worries, I will be under for this one! Whew!

They will check for endometriosis, cycts, and of course to examen my "horn." Should the doctor dertermine it essential, I may leave with a partial hysterectomy (aka, removal of my horn.) I won't know until I wake up.

The good news is that he believes that these tests may prove my uterus is large enough to carry a child with minimal risks. I won't be counting my eggs until they are hatched though. (OK, now that was funny.) The doctor said that we will never conceive on our own. Not surprising. However, I can feel myself holding my breath. I will be happy no matter how we expand our family...myself conceiving, a gestational carrier, adoption...I just want a family.

The doc is also going to check for diabetes, because it runs in my family. He doesn't believe I am diabetic, but he wants to cover his bases. He also wants to check for my blood clotting ability. We also have a history of blood clots in our family, and so therefore it falls under the better check now to prevent future issues.

So, there's a lot on the plate. Wednesday, I head back to the doctor to review my MRI and CT slides.

Yikes. So many tests, each one holding my future in their hands. I'm nevous, excited, and feel as if I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm not sure what to feel. I guess, I'm going to continue taking each day one at a time. I'm going to keep my slate clean, and take it as it comes. Take it slow.

However, I'm glad that today didn't bring bad news.

3 Comments:

At 5:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

All is not lost! Holding my breath for good news.

You're going to be an awesome mother no matter how you get there.

xo

 
At 2:23 PM , Blogger Angie said...

Hello! I found you on Mary Ellen's blog (she's my SIL). I saw where you have to have a laparoscopy and thought you might want to check out my blog. I just had one this past Thursday! It is the best way to see everything and to fix it all too. Make sure to get plenty of rest afterwards!

Best wishes!

 
At 7:12 AM , Blogger GLouise said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I will try to figure out how to add you to my bloglist :-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home