Friday, September 01, 2006

Ouch


I had the most delicious cup of Starbucks coffee today...ahhh....yum...pumpkin spice latte.

Back to reality, today was also confusing and hurt like hell.

Today was my saline infusion ultrasound. Which means that a speculum, a catheter, and a dildocam had a tea party inside of me. This would have been fine if one guest showed up as one was leaving, but nooooo...they all sat in there and chatted nicely. No, let me change that...they weren't chatting, they were screaming at the top of their lungs! Ouuuucccchhhh! I know that I have been told it hurts less than an HSG, but not that much less. It was still painful.

Of course, they placed what looks like those puppy pads used for house training a dog under my butt. Never a good sign. Then, there was one on the step, and on the floor. Just how much were we expecting to put in, much less come back out?! Dear Lord! Well, thankfully I had read up and knew what to expect, but boy was it a hoot for me and my mother (who dutifully held my hand the entire time,) to laugh at me with the "puppy pad" as a diaper of sorts. Fortunately, I didn't have a Niagara Falls effect. Just major cramps and a funny memory. Amen.

However, the worst part of today was the doc looking at me and saying he just wasn't sure what my anatomy looked like. So, three rendevous with the dildocam, a CT scan, two MRIs, an HSG, a pelvic ultrasound, and a saline infusion ultrasound...leads to them not having a clue whether I have a unicornuate uterus with a communicting horn or a bircornuate uterus with a noncommunicating rudimentary horn. Well, holy hell, those are two completly different animals!

So, after my date with the doc, he asked me to run and grab the slides from my MRI. Then, off we went to get them and dutifully bring them back to him. I guess I will just keep my fingers crossed that I can at least get a proper diagnosis soon.

10 Comments:

At 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. That is soooo frustrating.

(If I had puppy pads I didn't even notice them.)

 
At 11:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate those puppy pads with a passion I also feel so guilty when I bleed on one after pickup or it gets ruined after a hsg. glad it wasn't too over the top for you and I do hope you get your answers soon, seriously hoping for good news :)

 
At 1:50 PM , Blogger electriclady said...

Ugh, so frustrating. That's the trouble with the saline US, it really doesn't tell you anything other than whether or not you have fibroids or polyps or something. Sounds like maybe you will have to get a lap/hyst to pin down the diagnosis?

 
At 4:48 PM , Blogger Barely Sane said...

Holy crap - what an ordeal! All that and they STILL have nothing to tell you? Ugg.
When I had my test done I was in agony. It hurt WAY more than the darn HSG did - mind you, she slammed the saline in so flippin fast I almost passed out. Then afterwards, I cried.

Hopefully your RE can give you some concrete answers.

 
At 6:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG - Pumpkin Spice Latte!! I had one last night and was thrilled when I walked in and saw they were back! I love them.

I am glad your saline ultrasound is over. They really aren't much fun.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

 
At 1:13 PM , Blogger GLouise said...

I am glad the procedure is over. I have had the depends/puppy pads before, usually on my day 3 scans. What fun!


How frustrating that the RE wasn't able to share more. GRRR.

 
At 5:08 PM , Blogger Bri said...

Thank you for your congrats - I know how hard it is to hear news like that. But keep on cranking - all this is bound to lead to something wonderful someday. (We were in your shoes 4 years ago...)

 
At 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by the other day. I really appreciated the comment.

UGH! Saline ultrasound. HATED IT. And those "puppy pads," Eesh! I guess they're necessary, but could you feel more idiotic? I'm sorry there's still no diagnosis after all that. I hope you get some answers soon!

 
At 2:05 PM , Blogger hope548 said...

How frustrating! Have they said what the next step is? Have they proposed an exploratory laparoscopy?

What are the implications of the various shapes/types of uterus you may have?

 
At 2:14 PM , Blogger hope548 said...

Ok, I just scrolled a little further down and my questions were answered. You have had a rough and busy couple of months. It must have been very difficult to find all of this out!

I had a laparoscopy in May for an ectopic pregnancy. If you have any questions about it, let me know, I'd be happy to share my experience with you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home